HIGH POINT-THOMASVILLE, N.C. - Baseball is back in the Triad. The CPL HiToms are set to finally open the 2020 summer slate this weekend with three non-league games at Historic Finch Field.
On Friday, HPT will face Catawba Valley. Friday's first pitch is set for 7 p.m. Sunday's 6 p.m. matchup pits the HiToms versus the Muddogs out of the Old North State League. To round out the opening weekend slate, HPT will take on Mooresville starting at 5 p.m. on Sunday.
The 2020 HiToms roster consists of 16 ACC players ranging from Wake Forest, NC State, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Clemson, North Carolina and Duke.
Mickey Williard will be coaching his first game as the organization's new head coach on Friday night.
Willard is a graduate of High Point University and served as the volunteer assistant coach at Towson from 2017-2019. Serving as the infield and baserunning coach for the Colonial Athletic Conference Tigers, Willard assisted with hitting while also overseeing the Tigers' baseball camps and summer league placement.
Willard has experience coaching in the Coastal Plain League, serving in 2017 as the hitting coach for the Holly Springs Salamanders. Under Willard's direction, the Salamanders ranked second in the league in both doubles (98) and home runs (58) as well as fielding percentage.
Can't make it out to the ballpark? We've got you covered via live stream.
HiToms games will also be available to view online through a paid subscription service at cplbaseball.tv. Three subscription plans are available for purchase:
- Single Game Pass - $5
- Team Pass (single team, home games only) - $49
- League Wide Pass (all games, all teams, all season) - $79
Games will be available to stream on Apple TV, Amazon Fire and Android TV, however, fans will need to sign up for their subscription through cplbaseball.tv first.
*As we are still in Phase 2, ALL players, coaches, parents and fans (limit of 25) must sign and bring the waiver you in order to spectate/play at Historic Finch Field (click the link above)*
COVID 19 HPT HiToms Player/Finch Field Facility Plan (eff. 6/17/2020 – policies are subject to change)
The practices below have been identified by the HPT HiToms as best efforts to proactively ensure the safety of our student-athletes, game-day team members and fans. Moreover, the HPT HiToms organization will follow and adhere to the spectator limits/mandates (Section 9, Bullet Point D Entertainment and Sporting Venues in Large Venues) issued in Executive Order #141 May 20, 2020 by North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper.
One final note, the HiToms will also utilize the guidance of the state of North Carolina Department of Health & Human Services' Sports Guidelines: Interim Guidance for Administrators and Participants of Youth, College & Amateur Sports Programs to Play (May 22, 2020) as well as the guidelines suggested by USA Baseball and the Coastal Plain League.
Players & Coaches – Phase 2
Players and coaching staff will be instructed to follow the guidelines below:
■ Temperature check: players and coaches prior to entering the facility
■ Right-Field Line Player Entrance/Exit
■ 15 person limit – Playing Surface
■ 12 person limit – Each Respective dugout
● Remaining players and coaches will be spaced 10 feet apart outside the dugout
■ 6 person limit – Batting Cage Area
■ All players must have these individual items(equipment):
● Batting gloves
● Batting helmet
● Field glove
● Water Bottles/Coolers
■ Ballpark Restrooms:
● Restricted use to two people, per bathroom
● One-Way Entrance & Exit
■ No Player or Coaches allowed in grandstand/ bleachers or press area
■ All "spit" items prohibited: dugout and stadium
● Gum, sunflower seeds, peanuts
■ Players, Coaches or Staff must sanitize player products after each game
● Bats, gloves, balls, helmets, etc.
■ Locker room Restrictions:
● CPL HiToms only
● Groups of Six players
● Two entrances/exits
■ Pre-Game Umpire's Meeting/line-Up Card Exchange
● Provided Via Text
● Ground Rules Discussed via 10 feet apart – Right-Field Line
Facility & Fans:
P.A. Public Service Announcements:
• Mid-1st Inning
• Mid-2nd Inning
• Every Other Inning thereafter
● The HiToms will increase sanitation around the ballpark as outlined by the NCDHS and the Davidson County Health Department
○ Properly Equipped Bathroom Soap Dispensers
○ Accessible Hand Sanitizer Stations
○ Bathrooms will be cleaned following all contests
Historic Finch Field Entry/Exit:
● Box Office & Entrance
● Credit/Debit card transactions are recommended to ensure limited direct contact between employees and fans
● E-ticketing for all season ticket holders
● Spacing markers and dividers will promote proper distancing between customers waiting in lines
● Two Stadium Entrances and 4 stadium exits will be available
● Fans will be encouraged to exit via all four grandstand ramps and use all 4 exits
Socially Distant Seating/Ticket Purchasing:
● Grandstand Seating
■ The HiToms will recreate Finch Field's seating bowl to allow for proper distancing:
● Specific reserved and general admission seating will be established to maintain proper distancing between fans
● Box office staff will select reserved seats based on distancing availability
○ 6 ft = 3 chairs
● Fans will be encouraged to sit 3 seats apart as well as one row apart
● Only household members will be allowed to sit 'seat 2 seat'
■ Fans will be discouraged to touch railings unless absolutely necessary
● Concourse areas will maintain social distancing guidelines
● Players will be required to exit down the right and left-field lines. No transition to the concourse
Food and Beverage Policies:
● Main Concessions / Grill
■ The following protocols will be put into place as it pertains to Finch Field food and
● Spacing markers will promote proper distancing between customers waiting in lines
● Ordering and pickup windows will be specifically marked by line dividers to promote proper distancing between customers
● Order windows will have barriers in place to limit contact between staff and fans
● Concession menu options may be limited to accommodate staff safety
● All condiments, napkins, and utensils will be given upon request
○ No push pump condiments
● Staff will not reuse cups for refills
● Beer Garden
■ The following protocols will be put into place as it pertains to Finch Field's Grill
● No standing in beer serving line unless purchasing product(s)
● Spacing markers and line dividers will promote proper distancing between
customers waiting in lines
● Only cans and plastic bottles will be served
■ Tables and chairs will be arranged to promote proper distancing
● No tables or chairs may be moved
● Only immediate family members can sit at a table together
● Fans will be encouraged to social distance when standing